Friday, February 8, 2008

Tracing the Individual Body

I truly enjoyed this piece as I could definitely relate to it. I found it quite amusing honestly. It was very interesting to see how the photograph evolved into a means of evidence. Over and over again in our readings, how real an image is, whether in film or a photograph, even in a painting. They are doubted and then praised for how natural and pure they are. Then this reading twists it around even more and says, yea what the picture is displaying is real, but what you should doubt is what you are seeing. That is the culprit in the photo, but is it really his true natural face you are seeing? Can he easily be mistaken with someone else.  Also with the Une erreur tragique where the husband sees his woman with some other guy that he trips out about then later finds out was her brother. Yes, the photograph DID show her with another man, but he failed to realize it was her brother. I especially liked the phrase "it is not a just image, it is just an image". A lot of us today, secretly, whether we want to admit it or not, as fascinated candid photographs of ourselves. Those are the ones that Tom Gunning explains show the closest to the truth of who someone is. When they are unsure of whether or not they are being photographed, or even better, when they have no idea at all. I know I personally like to see pictures of myself when I don't know there is a camera around. It kind of shows me what people see me as, when I am unaware of myself (if that makes sense). I'm not being conceited, just honest. Gunning calls this "a moment of unconscious self betrayal". This, thus far, has been my favorite piece. :)

No comments: