What initially struck me about Lorna Simpson was how the images of her travels were not just casual snapshots, but photographs that “exhibited a sense of great visual control” (286). These images demonstrate that her talent was not just taught; she was naturally successful when it came to taking photographs. I really admire the fact that she used her innate talent to tell stories and create interesting art. Simpson’s transition from documentary to conceptual photography both intrigued and confused me. She based her evolution from documentary to conceptual photography on the idea that “she needed to demonstrate to herself that the camera was not just an instrument to probe into the depths of truth…she wanted to reveal it also as a machine that spewed all manner of conventions and clichés…that had to be overcome if the camera was truly to become ‘a wholly philosophical product’” (292). This seems, to me, like an odd goal. By revealing the camera as a machine that spews stereotypes does not seem like it would benefit her intentions. However, overall, this statement confused me and I hope to talk about it in class tomorrow.
By focusing on this goal, Simpson led herself to conceptual photography. I find her journey to getting to film stills roundabout, for she wanted to defamiliarize her self with the documentary image and find a new type of photography. I understand her desire to find her niche in the photography world, but I just feel that the path she created for herself was filled with many obstacles. However, this process obviously beneficial because it led her to create some phenomenal photographs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment